Summer is usually a dry spell for writing conferences in Utah, most tend to be in the spring or fall. There is one shining exception – Fyrecon, happening this weekend from June 20-22. Boldly proclaiming its independence from the norm, Fyrecon takes the standard writing conference plan and bumps it up a notch. Its motto “Burn Through Barriers” captures this feeling. There are classes for all flavors of creatives ranging from visual arts to fiber arts to table top RPG to gaming software design – all very cool.
Even better, they let me come play! This year I’m teaching three classes:
- The Art of Active Setting: Bring your stories to life through the principles of active setting, including the importance of sensory integration, character viewpoints, and how to anchor a scene.
- Inside-Out Worldbuilding: Learn how to build a unique and engaging fantasy world using your main character as a guide.
- Magic Systems 101: From Tolkien to Sanderson, a review of what makes good magic a great read and even better, how to build your own
And best yet – I get to play with some pretty cool friends on two different round table discussions:
- Blood Basics for Beginners with Candace J. Thomas and Maxwell Alexander Drake
- Muddling Through the Middle: What to do When You’ve Lost Your Map, with Maria V. Snyder, Eric Flint, and David Mark Brown
If you’re a creative in Utah, there’s lots of good stuff for you to find here at Fyrecon.
For more info, go check out their website.
Thank you dear reader for stopping by! If you’d like to be notified of future posts here at JodiLMilner.com, be sure to ‘subscribe’ using the handy links. Or, even better, sign up to be part of my mailing list.